Thursday 21 September 2017

Embracing Wellness By Being #ApneTareekeSeHealthy...


 ~~~ 


 ~~~

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

Going by this interpretation of 'Health' by World Health Organization, being healthy or even striving to achieve wellness seems to be a herculean task. For it is an arduous task to strike a balance between the three facets of the holy trinity of health - physical, mental, and social.

More often than not, it takes a truckload of willpower to proceed (and persist) on 'the road less traveled by' as Frost may have put it. Neglect (knowingly or unknowingly) towards one or more of the above facets while aspiring to achieve well-being also plays its part in making the road seem rocky. 

~~~ 

What is needed is a little push for our lethargic and inattentive selves to pay heed to our hearts, minds, and brains hopelessly churning themselves from night to day and further again, immersed in our 'busy schedules' just like hamsters on wheels. 

However, going by the conventional school of thought, there exist not three but six facets to health and well-being. Those six facets or components of health would be:

PHYSICAL HEALTH concerns and is affected by aspects such as the intake of a well-balanced diet, regular exercise, presence or absence of illness, genetics etc. for a person.

PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALTH or MENTAL HEALTH concerns multiple factors associated with the proper functioning of the brain namely the ability to learn, memorize, rely on intuition, analytical thinking, communication, logical reasoning, concentration, and such.

EMOTIONAL HEALTH, as the name suggests, concerns emotions and their appropriate expression in suitable situations.

SOCIAL HEALTH concerns the fact that man is a social animal and cannot have a black box existence. A person's reactions to situations are borne keeping in mind their interactions with their immediate social circle, be it family, friends, colleagues, or even social media in today's times. 

ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH encompasses all environmental factors that can possibly affect human health, and thus impact wellness. 

SPIRITUAL HEALTH according to WHO, is given perspective in the following definition presented by the health assembly. 

"The spiritual dimension is understood to imply a phenomenon that is not material in nature but belongs to the realm of ideas, beliefs, values, and ethics that have arisen in the minds and conscience of human beings, particularly ennobling ideas. 

Ennobling ideas have given rise to health ideals, which have led to a practical strategy for Health for All that aims at attaining a goal that has both a material and non-material component. 

If the material component of the strategy can be provided to people, the non-material or spiritual one is something that has to arise within people and communities in keeping with their social and cultural patterns. 

The spiritual dimension plays a great role in motivating people’s achievement in all aspects of life." 

 ~~~ 

Taking into consideration these six facets, I have devised a six-point strategy on to stay #ApneTareekeSeHealthy...

For the upkeep of Physical Health, a three-point-agenda of Eating Right, Exercise, and Positive Lifestyle is to be adhered to, religiously.

It is of utmost importance to have a well-balanced diet comprising a fair share of vitamins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, nutrients, etc. Being hydrated throughout the day also plays its part, as does maintaining a regular sleep cycle which in turn syncs our body clock.

The inclusion of a minimum fifteen-minute brisk walk at the neighborhood park in my daily routine is what keeps me going. Early morning Yoga comprising of simple breathing exercises and stretching before I leave for work is what keeps my energy levels up through a hectic day.

In addition to the above, being a teetotaler and abstinence from alcohol and smoking works in my favor, big time! :)

As far as #ProtectHerHeart and my PROTECT Checklist is concerned, I have my Saffola Total by my side to keep me 'Dil Se Healthy' as it gradually works on the eight bio-markers of heart health for my family and me.

As far as Psychological Health is concerned, my daily newspaper comes to the rescue, as there are numerous puzzles - Crossword, Soduko, Kakuro, Word Wheel - to jog my brain's muscles. A half-an-hour session at the maximum, alongside my morning cuppa, is what is required to keep my cognitive abilities intact. As for my creative insights, I always have my blog to fall back on, thinking out of the box for numerous writing prompts as I have always done in the past.

In order to keep my emotions in check and to counter stress which has the potential to adversely affect my Emotional Health, meditation and an effort to maintain a positive attitude, seeing light at the end of the tunnel in day-to-day situations that might lead me off-track work wonders.

Social Health, in today's times, might be one of the easiest (or hardest) to maintain well, given the all-pervasive World Wide Web. I, for one, have a limited virtual friend circle, prefer to maintain cordial relations with colleagues, and be available for as much 'Family Time' as possible.

Environmental Health is what I believe, is the trickiest to sustain appropriately, not only in the perception of a personal domain but also on the global level as well. However, simple, humble, but significant steps, like putting the 3Rs - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - into practice, striving for the upkeep of an in-house garden, opting for paper or jute bags whenever wherever possible, segregation of household waste, commuting by the all-pervasive Delhi Metro network or carpooling in all workable scenarios, and opting for energy-efficient appliances, have all helped me reduce my Carbon Footprint one step at a time, over the years.

As far as Spiritual Health is concerned, I have not had to take conscious measures to reflect on its upkeep because that is a domain which reflects on ideas, beliefs, values, and ethics. Praying, both before I rest for the day, and as I begin a new one, meditation, and appreciation for the harmonious coexistence of all life-forms, and a feeling of gratefulness throughout is what makes me connect to God Almighty on a spiritual level.

 ~~~ 

It is through this six-point strategy focusing on straightforward measures reflecting on each facet of health, that I strive to strike a balance in the continuum of life and embrace wellness by being #ApneTareekeSeHealthy. :) 



I am joining Saffola #ApneTareekeSeHealthy initiative and sharing my ways of being healthy in association with BlogAdda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Stopping By!
It would feel great to hear from you and respond to your valuable suggestions! Do leave a note here in the Comments Section!